Lacey Criminal Attorneys
Have you been arrested or charged with a crime? Has a loved one? If so, you’re sure to have a multitude of questions and a wide range of emotions. Our Lacey Criminal Attorneys are here to help. The first step is to call for your free consultation. If you sign on with us, we will then put our considerable resources behind your case and fight for the best possible outcome.
Many people who contact our office have been charged with a crime for the first time. This can be exceptionally confusing. There are numerous wrinkles to Washington state law that can be quite overwhelming for someone unfamiliar with the system. Our team of qualified and trusted lawyers will help you make sense of these troubling times. We will provide a concerned ear and strong legal advice that can help you avoid unnecessary punishments.
Obtaining a criminal record can have lasting consequences for you or your loved one. These consequences are nothing to take lightly. If you are convicted of a DUI, for example, you could end up paying tens of thousands of dollars in fees, fines, and administrative costs. You’ll have trouble getting to and from work, and even running errands. Your freedoms can be greatly impacted for years to come.
Other misdemeanors or felonies can lead to protracted consequences even after your legal battle is over. These consequences can affect your credit score, your ability to secure a loan, quality housing, a job. This is not something you should leave to chance, contact our office as soon as you are ready and let us help you start building a solid criminal defense.Questions About Crimes and the Impacts of a Conviction
After an arrest, our clients are often confused and eager to have some questions answered:
- How do I choose a qualified Washington criminal defense attorney?
- Is it possible to have criminal charges reduced or dismissed?
- What are the different types of criminal lawyers?
- What are the penalties associated with a criminal conviction?
Criminal charges can impact your life in many different ways, the penalties you face may include:
- Prison or jail time
- Loss of license
- Administrative fees and fines
- A lifelong criminal record
- Sex offender registration
These penalties can be far more severe if you don’t establish a quality legal defense strategy. Our Lacey Criminal Lawyers will be your advocates when dealing with prosecutors and judges, and we will fight to make sure the outcome is fair. Contact us today, to begin your defense and protect your future.Lacey, Washington Court System Overview
Lacey, Washington is a suburb of Olympia located in Thurston County. It’s a small to mid-sized city with a population of about 43,000 residents. The city sees less violent crime and property-related crime than does the rest of the state of Washington, and the rest of the country cumulatively.
The city of Lacey sits 30 miles north of the state capital, Olympia, 60 miles south of Seattle, and 120 miles north of Portland, Oregon. There are countless recreational opportunities in the area including stunning views of Mt. Rainier and quick access to the Puget Sound.
Lacey does not have a separate municipal court, so all cases will be heard in the Thurston County District Court in Olympia, Washington. Thurston County District Court is a limited jurisdiction court that will hear case types like misdemeanors, gross misdemeanors, traffic and non-traffic offenses, anti-harassment orders, civil cases of $100,000 or less, and small claims civil cases of $10,000 or less.
Misdemeanor offenses include trespassing, shoplifting, assault, disorderly conduct, or other low-level offenses. Gross misdemeanors might include DUI, petty theft, or simple assault.
Penalties for misdemeanors in Washington State can carry sentences of up to 90 days in jail and/or fines of up to $1,000. Penalties for gross misdemeanors can carry sentences of up to 364 days in jail and/or fines of up to $5,000.
For more serious charges, such as major crimes or felonies, you may be seen in the Thurston County Superior Court, also located in Olympia. Some of the cases heard at this level include sex crimes, burglary, and white-collar crimes.
There are three levels of felonies in Washington State:
- Class A felonies can carry penalties of a life sentence in a state correctional institution, a $50,000 fine, or both.
- Class B felonies can carry penalties of less than 10 years in a state correctional institution or up to $20,000 fines, or both.
- Class C felonies can carry penalties of up to five years in a state correctional institution, fines of up to $10,000, or both.
To better understand your situation, we strongly encourage you to follow the relevant links above and contact our office for a free consultation as soon as you are ready to find a criminal attorney who will protect your legal rights and represent your interests.Your Choice of Attorney Truly Matters
Not all WA State criminal lawyers are created equal. During your defense, you’ll be working closely with your chosen lawyer for a significant amount of time. It’s imperative that you choose someone of strong legal stature that can help you make sense of this stress and confusion; someone to fight for your rights, and help mitigate your punishment. Our team has over 50 years of combined experience dealing with Washington state laws and we are well known for our quality work and dogged determination.
The constitution of the United States affords citizens certain rights. It is our duty to know the applicable laws and defend the rights of our clients. We do not take this duty lightly, and this is reflected in our reputation as high caliber representatives of the accused.
Being arrested, booked, and thrown in jail can be completely disorienting. So, It’s perfectly natural to be feeling a host of emotions at this time, from embarrassment to confusion, anxiety, and fear. Our team will listen with a keen ear and help alleviate your worries with solid legal advice and work tirelessly to help protect your interests.
Some of the charges our team routinely sees include theft, DUI, criminal mischief, fraud, domestic violence, and DUI. If you are charged with a more serious crime that will be prosecuted on the state level, such as white-collar crimes, sex crimes, or manslaughter, our team of Washington State Criminal Attorneys are ready to assist.
If you or your loved one is charged with a juvenile crime, it’s imperative to get the ball rolling on a criminal defense immediately. Juvenile charges can have effects that last a lifetime. We advise contacting aWashington State criminal law attorney as soon as possible to prevent a minor from getting lost in the system or being pushed into taking a bad deal.You’ve Been Arrested, Processed, and Charged with a Crime. What Comes Next?
After arrest, you’ll be arraigned before a judge and a prosecutor and your charges will be announced. This is when a plea is entered, though, typically not a guilty plea. During this phase, you’ll reach an agreement on bail, which a good lawyer will try to get reduced or even waived. Finally, the court will set a hearing, usually within 15 days.
It is during this time that you’ll need to build a quality defense. If retained, our Lacey Criminal Attorneys will pour through all the facts the prosecution presents, plus we will interview key witnesses to the crime. We will compare your charge to historically similar charges and then develop a plan with the goal of an equitable conclusion at its root.
Many times we will look to strike a plea deal with the prosecutor. This often expedites matters, saving you time and resources. However, if the prosecutor is offering a plea deal that isn’t fair, we won’t bite. If, after consulting the client, our attorneys feel the best move is a trial, that’s where we will go. Our job is to have your best interests in mind, and we take that commitment seriously. We will fight alongside our clients until a fair resolution is determined, whether that is quick with a plea, or takes longer at trial.
You will surely have a multitude of questions, like:
- How do I prove my innocence?
- Will I end up serving time behind bars?
- How do I know if I’m getting a fair trial?
- How does a criminal defense work?
Our experienced team will patiently listen to your questions and provide thoughtful quality answers. Our job isn’t over until justice is served. The sooner you reach out to our team, the sooner we can get to the delicate job of answering your questions, and the sooner we can start building your defense.
Our Lacey Criminal Attorneys are skilled in all aspects of Washington State law With our over 50 years of combined criminal law experience, our team has fought pretty much everything a state prosecutor has presented, some of those charges include:
- Domestic Violence - This crime is all too common in Washington State. There are, of course, two sides to every story. If you’ve been accused, make sure you have representation that understands the law and can keep you from facing stiffer penalties than necessary.
- Theft - There are many levels of theft from cyber-crime to pick-pocketing. Washington has stiff penalties for cyber-theft, and the consequences can be wide-ranging and difficult to overcome. Shoplifting and petty theft tend to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, so it’s best to have an experienced professional on your side that knows the intricacies of the charge and will help you build your strongest defense.
- DUI - It is illegal to drive while impaired by drugs or alcohol in all of the US. The limits in Washington State are .08% BAC or 5 nanograms or more of THC in the bloodstream.
After your BAC reaches .15% penalties get far stiffer. First-time offenders with lower than .15% BAC will receive the lightest charges, but the administrative fees can still be difficult to overcome. They can include fines, time behind bars, ignition interlock devices, suspension of license, and much more. Our legal team is well versed in the intricacies of the DUI laws in Washington State and will fight to make sure your penalty is as fair as possible.
- Physical Control Violations - You don’t have to be driving a vehicle to be charged with this crime in Washington State. If prosecutors believe you could turn the key and drive away from your location, they are authorized to bring charges. Even if you’re just sleeping in the driver’s seat, if you have the keys nearby, you can be charged under this statute. Some mitigating factors include being in the backseat or passenger seat, or whether or not you are awake. If the officer wakes you from a nap in the backseat, a jury is less likely to consider you in control of your vehicle. Our team understands the finer points of this law and will fight to reduce the sentence or in some cases, get the charges dropped.
- Assault - There are four levels of assault in Washington State, first degree through fourth degree, with varying levels of penalties. Charges can also stem from the physical harm statute, examples of which are reckless endangerment, promoting a suicide attempt, failing to summon assistance, or committing a hate crime. Our team will explain the intricacies of your specific situation and they will fight alongside you until an equitable outcome is reached.
- Drug Crimes - In Washington state, you can be arrested for possession of illegal drugs, paraphernalia, trafficking, and intent to distribute. These drug crimes can carry severe penalties. Usually, first offenses carry lighter sentences, but those subsequent arrests can force you to put your life on hold. With our qualified team of attorneys at your back, you will have the type of representation that can help you build your strongest defense and potentially get your sentence reduced or preferably, eliminated.
- Sex Crimes - Being accused of a sex crime in Washington State can lead to a massive impact on your future, with many long-lasting complications. Sex Crimes include statutory rape, molestation, solicitation of a minor on the internet, and other serious offenses. These crimes lead to significant punishments including jail time and being listed on a sex offender registry. Our team will help you navigate these potentially devastating charges.
- Juvenile Crimes - We’ve all made mistakes when we were young. Being convicted of a crime, even as a juvenile can have lasting effects that stay with a young person well into adulthood. Bellevue Criminal Attorneys will work to prevent our youth from being tried as an adult, and minimize the damage a juvenile conviction can bring.
Statute RCW 9A.56.020 defines theft thusly:
(1) "Theft" means:
(a) To wrongfully obtain or exert unauthorized control over the property or services of another or the value thereof, with intent to deprive him or her of such property or services; or
(b) By color or aid of deception to obtain control over the property or services of another or the value thereof, with intent to deprive him or her of such property or services; or
(c) To appropriate lost or misdelivered property or services of another, or the value thereof, with intent to deprive him or her of such property or services.
(2) In any prosecution for theft, it shall be a sufficient defense that:
(a) The property or service was appropriated openly and avowedly under a claim of title made in good faith, even though the claim be untenable; or
(b) The property was merchandise pallets that were received by a pallet recycler or repairer in the ordinary course of its business.
Statute RCW 9A.36.050 deals with an interesting aspect of assault called reckless endangerment. Note the following.
(1) A person is guilty of reckless endangerment when he or she recklessly engages in conduct not amounting to drive-by shooting but that creates a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to another person.
(2) Reckless endangerment is a gross misdemeanor.
With all the emotions and questions swirling in your head, let us help take some of the stress and worry off your plate. It’s no small ordeal to be charged with a crime. Our team of experienced Lacey Criminal Attorneys is talented and determined, and we will fight for your freedoms. Whether your case goes to trial or a settlement is reached, we have your back.
The consultation is free, and it’s the first step in building your strategic defense. Many of our clients are charged with a crime for the first time, and it’s a mind-boggling experience. Let us help you wrap your head around all the jargon and legalese, explaining the law in a way our clients can understand is a specialty of ours.Lacey Washington, a Quintessentially Northwest Experience
Lacey sits in the shadow of the magnificent Mount Rainier right on the southern edge of the stunning Puget Sound. The small to mid-sized city offers a huge array of outdoor adventures. Situated on the western edge of the Cascade Mountains, world-class hiking and biking are typical weekend activities, as are a variety of water sports including canoeing and kayaking in both fresh-water lakes, and the salt-water habitat of the Puget Sound.
The Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge borders Lacey to the east featuring over three thousand acres of saltwater marshes, grasslands, and mixed forest habitats. With this biodiversity, it’s no wonder the refuge is home to countless species of birds. Pets are not allowed in the park, but binoculars are encouraged. On your excursion into the park, you’ll find birds like migratory waterfowl, songbirds, raptors, pileated woodpeckers, great horned owls, even herons.
Mount Rainier is home to the most glaciers of any peak in the contiguous United States. At 14,410 feet it is an active volcano, and its glaciers are the feeding ground for five major rivers. Views of this majestic peak are a center point of the natural beauty afforded by visiting the City of Lacey.
Lacey is home to approximately 42,000 residents, and I5 runs alongside the city making it an ideal commuter town for the state capital of Olympia just 30 miles away. It sits within Thurston County and is home to over 1,200 acres of municipal parkland. The recreational activities include three indoor swimming pools, miles of hiking and biking trails, and several public boat launches. Lacey is truly a gem in the great pacific northwest.Our Lacey Criminal Attorneys are Here to Assist
If you or a loved one have been charged with a crime in Lacey, reach out today for your free consultation. Our team of experienced lawyers is eager to delve into the details of your case and help you protect your freedoms.
Whether this is your first encounter with Washington State criminal law, or you are already familiar with the system, our criminal attorneys have the experience and savvy to help you build a solid, strategic defense.