Mercer Island Criminal Attorneys
Have you or a loved one been charged with a crime? If so, don’t wait another second. Contact one of our Mercer Island Criminal Lawyers today. You are not in this fight alone. Our professional team of lawyers will help you navigate the muddy waters of the legal system in Washington State.
If this is your first time being involved in a criminal case there is a lot to learn. Our team of qualified legal experts can help make sense of this stressful time. If you’re experienced with the system, you probably understand the uphill battle you face. Our lawyers are experts in Washington Criminal Law and will fight tirelessly to help protect your livelihood and well being.
Don’t let the opportunity to have a determined team at your back slip away. Our team will help answer all the questions you have, and more importantly, we will do everything in our power to keep you out of jail.
The first step in fighting a felony, misdemeanor, or gross misdemeanor is building a case to get the charges dropped. If that doesn’t happen, our next steps include minimizing the punishments you may face and protecting your legal rights. Our team knows the intricacies of Mercer Island and Washington State law and can expertly assist you in overcoming the obstacles the legal system will throw at you.
Being charged with a crime can be incredibly stressful for you and your entire family. A wide range of emotions can lead to confusion, anger, depression, and more. Let our team help alleviate the stress on you and your family.
You may be facing charges that can lead to various punishments like:
- Jail Time
- Loss of License
- Sex offender registration
- A lifelong Criminal Record
Having a criminal record can impact your life in numerous ways. From your credit score to your ability to land good employment, loans, rental housing, mortgages, and more. It is imperative that you fight these charges to mitigate their potentially disastrous effects on your future.
The first step is to contact our Mercer Island Criminal Attorneys. You don’t have to fight this fight alone. Let us help you reduce your risk, keep you out of prison and keep your chances of prosperity in-tact.How do I Choose a Criminal Lawyer?
Your criminal lawyer is your first line of defense in battling criminal charges. Our experienced team has over 50 years of combined experience fighting charges like theft and DUI. In America, being charged is not the same as being found guilty. Our lawyers are here to help you understand the myriad of confusing steps necessary to lessen or eliminate your criminal penalty.
Our team will be there to listen, offer advice, and keep you from making mistakes in your defense. It’s natural to feel angst, embarrassment, and anguish after being charged with a crime, whether it’s severe or minor. You don’t have to go this alone.
Don’t let the system get the upper hand. Our team will help you avoid unnecessary punishments and keep you from accepting a bad deal. All too often prosecutors, trying to secure stellar prosecutorial records, will push for stiffer penalties than necessary. Don’t let them get the advantage. We are there for you, fighting for your future.
Our team of experienced criminal attorneys routinely assist clients with charges like burglary, criminal mischief, fraud, theft, or DUI. If you are accused of white-collar crimes or sex crimes, our Washington State Criminal Attorneys possess the skills and knowledge necessary to fight for your freedoms.Mercer Island Criminal Courts Overview
The city of Mercer Island lies within King County. It is included in the Greater Seattle Metro Area. Mercer Island is the economic hub of the eastern Seattle area with major corporation headquarters and a solid economic base. The Mercer Island Municipal Court handles local criminal cases involving misdemeanors, citations, and small claims, among others.
The King County District Court, located in Bellevue, is the state’s largest limited jurisdiction court and handles a quarter of a million matters per year. This court will handle misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor cases. Misdemeanor offenses include trespassing, shoplifting, assault, disorderly conduct, or other low-level offenses. Gross misdemeanors might include DUI, petty theft, or simple assault.
Penalties for gross misdemeanors in Washington State can carry sentences of up to 364 days in jail and/or fines of up to $5,000. Penalties for misdemeanors can carry sentences of up to 90 days in jail and/or fines of up to $1,000.
The court may also hear preliminary or expedited felony cases. In a preliminary felony case, the court will determine bail, or whether the charges will necessitate further proceedings in the state superior court. There are three levels of felonies in Washington State for crimes committed after July 1, 1984:
- Class A felonies can carry penalties of a life sentence in a state correctional institution, a $50,000 fine, or both.
- Class B felonies can carry penalties of less than 10 years in a state correctional institution or up to $20,000 fines, or both.
- Class C felonies can carry penalties of up to five years in a state correctional institution, fines of up to $10,000, or both.
King County Superior Court, is located in downtown Seattle, and the criminal division handles all adult criminal proceedings in the court. The court handles civil, dependency, family law, and juvenile cases, as well as criminal proceedings.
If you are charged with a felony in Mercer Island, it is imperative to contact a qualified lawyer right away. If the case proceeds to the King County Superior Court you will need assistance immediately to ensure proper defense.Once You’ve Been Charged With a Crime, What’s Next?
After arrest, and charges being filed, the next step is the arraignment. At your arraignment, the Deputy Prosecuting Attorney will advise you of the charge. You will enter a plea at this time, and may request a release on personal recognizance or a reduction of bail.
The court will then set a hearing date within 15 days. Guilty pleas are not usually taken during the arraignment. If you have been through your arraignment but haven’t yet secured council, now is the time to contact our Mercer Island Criminal Attorneys. Even if you’ve already been assigned a public defender, it’s not too late to get our expert, professional assistance for your case.
You’ll surely have a lot of questions like
- How do I prove my innocence?
- How will I know if I’m getting a fair trial?
- Will I get a lighter sentence if this is my first offense?
- What happens if I get a prison sentence?
- What does a criminal lawyer do?
- Can a DUI be expunged from my record?
These questions and many more will be forefront on your mind as you come to terms with the events that led you here. Our highly trained Mercer Island Criminal Lawyers will be there to guide you step by step through the process. We will start by building your case.
To build your case, our team will interview you and the key witnesses involved, and examine all the evidence against you. We will compare your case to other similar cases and advise you of your options. We will work tirelessly to make sure you get a fair shake, as compared to other, similar, cases. We will keep track of court dates, timely filing deadlines, appearances, and more. We have extensive experience in Washington State criminal trials plus a wealth of contacts and expertise. If your case requires more time to resolve equitably, we will fight with you until the end. We will continue to fight for you to ensure justice is served.Our Mercer Island Criminal Lawyers Handle all Types of Criminal Proceedings
Here is a quick guide to help you better understand some of the charges that we help people fight.
- DUI In Washington State - Here is what RCW 46.61.502 of the criminal code says about DUI (Driving Under the Influence) (1) A person is guilty of driving while under the influence of intoxicating liquor, marijuana, or any drug if the person drives a vehicle within this state: (a) And the person has, within two hours after driving, an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher as shown by analysis of the person's breath or blood made under RCW 46.61.506 In other words, It is illegal to drive while impaired by drugs or alcohol. The limits are .08% BAC or 5 nanograms or more of THC in the bloodstream.
Penalties increase after your BAC reaches .15%. First-time offenders with lower
than .15% BAC will receive the lightest charges, but the administrative fees can still be exceptionally burdensome. They can include fines, time in jail, ignition interlock devices, suspension of license, and much more.
Can you expunge a DUI in Washington State? Our legal team is well versed in the intricacies of the DUI laws in Washington State and will fight to make sure your penalty is as negligible as possible. One thing is certain, if you’ve been charged with a DUI, you should speak with a qualified criminal lawyer immediately.
- Physical Control Violations - Even if you’re not driving a vehicle, you can be charged with this crime in Washington State. Prosecutors will charge you with this crime if they believe you could turn the key and drive away from wherever you are. Even if you’re just sleeping in the vehicle, if you have the keys nearby, you can be charged. Mitigating factors can include, sleeping in the backseat or passenger seat, or whether or not you are asleep when the officer arrives. If you are asleep, a jury is less likely to consider you in control of your vehicle. Our team knows the intricacies of this law and will fight to reduce the sentence or get the charges dropped altogether.
- Assault - There are four levels of assault in Washington State, first degree through fourth degree, with varying levels of penalties. Other charges can stem from the physical harm statute as well, such as reckless endangerment, promoting a suicide attempt, failing to summon assistance, or even committing a hate crime all face stiff penalties.
- Drug Crimes - Whether you’ve been arrested for possession of illegal drugs or paraphernalia, trafficking or intent to distribute, drug crimes in Washington State can carry severe penalties. Usually, first offenses carry lighter sentences, but those subsequent arrests can force you to put your goals on hold. Make sure you have quality representation so that your case doesn’t suffer excessive prosecution.
- Theft - There are many levels of theft from shoplifting to cyber-crime. Washington has increased penalties for cyber-theft, and charges like these can be confusing and the penalties can be wide-ranging and difficult to overcome. Shoplifting and petty theft tend to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, so it’s best to have someone qualified in your corner that knows the ins and outs of the system and can help guide you in the best direction for your particular case.
- Domestic Violence - Washington State statute states, “"Domestic or family violence" includes, but is not limited to, conduct when committed by one family member against another.” There is a lot of nuance to this crime and almost any crime can be charged as a Domestic Violence crime. While the crime itself is not Domestic Violence, it’s the victim’s relationship to the alleged perpetrator that determines whether it’s considered to be domestic violence or not. This crime is on the rise in Mercer Island and King County during 2020. There are, however, two sides to every story. If you’ve been accused, make sure you have representation that understands the law and can keep you from facing stiffer penalties than necessary.
- Juvenile Crimes - We’ve all made mistakes when we were young. Being convicted of a crime, even as a juvenile can have lasting effects that stay with a young person well into adulthood. Mercer Island Criminal Attorneys will work to prevent our youth from being tried as an adult, and minimize the damage a juvenile conviction can bring.
- Sex Crimes - Being accused of a sex crime in Washington State can lead to a massive impact on your personal life and freedoms, and many long-lasting complications. Sex Crimes include statutory rape, molestation, solicitation of a minor on the internet, and other serious offenses. These crimes lead to significant punishments including jail time and being listed on a sex offender registry. Our team will help you navigate these potentially devastating charges.
Our team will explain the intricacies of your specific situation in an easy to understand manner. They will help guide you down the path to putting this entire ordeal behind you.
If you find yourself involved in a criminal proceeding, don’t delay. Our consultations are free and we will work tirelessly to achieve the best result for your case. Many of our clients are facing charges for the first time. If you are in this category, you know how difficult it is to navigate these muddy waters. Contact our Mercer Island Criminal Attorneys for a free consultation today, don’t wait, your livelihood is too important.
We will guide you through the process, and if you are falsely accused, we will fight tirelessly to get these charges dropped. Being accused of a crime in Washington State is a serious matter, don’t take it lightly. Our defense team is reliable and incredibly effective as an advocate for the accused.The City of Mercer Island - Where Community Still Matters
The City of Mercer Island is both a city and an island where more than 24,000 residents enjoy a quality of life that surpasses that in many other regional municipalities. Mercer Island is known for great schools, beautiful parks, and a sense of community that helps its residents thrive.
If you’re the type of person that wants to raise a family in a safe environment, check out this helpful page that outlines in detail the many benefits of living in this thriving community. Bridges connect Mercer Island to Seattle and Bellevue, one of which is the second largest floating bridge in the world!
What is there to do on Mercer Island? Residents enjoy all of the comforts of modern life, which makes Mercer Island a great place for shopping, dining, and enjoying some of the best municipal parks in Western Washington. A good place to start is Luther Burbank Park, which has playgroundsfor kids, a public fishing pier, and you can even enjoy swimming. Just don’t swim too close to the fishermen or you may get an unpleasant surprise.
Even though Mercer Island is an idyllic place where families thrive, crime is still a part of everyday life. One moment of poor judgement can lead to a DUI arrest or worse. Our lawyers don’t believe that one mistake should lead to a lifetime of repercussions. Contact us today and make sure you get the professional legal guidance you need to ensure a prosperous future.Our Mercer Island Criminal Attorneys are Ready to Share Their Expertise With You
Whether this is your first experience with the criminal justice system in Washington State, or you’ve been involved before, our Mercer Island Criminal Lawyers are ready and eager to help. Our team has over 50 years of experience in cases involving Misdemeanors, Gross Misdemeanors, Legal Infractions, and Felonies.
We are a fully licensed professional service that puts your case at the top of our list, every time. We will work tirelessly to make sure your experience with criminal prosecution goes as smoothly as possible.
Call our Mercer Island Criminal Attorneys today, and let’s get started defending your reputation, your livelihood, and your wellbeing.An experienced, expert Mercer Island criminal defense team.
If you or a loved one has been suspected of committing a crime, it is important for you to know that accepting the charges and pleading guilty are not your only options. A Mercer Island criminal attorney from the Law Offices of Jason S. Newcombe can create a defense for you with the aim of having the charges against you reduced or dropped in order to return you to your everyday life.
We understand what you are going through, and we know how difficult it is for you and your family that you are in trouble with the law. Our group of experienced and knowledgeable Mercer Island criminal defense attorneys is prepared to help you through this complicated time without negative judgment and with all of the respect that you deserve.When Should I Hire a Mercer Island Criminal Lawyer?
If you are suspected of being involved in a crime, it is critical to consult with a criminal defense attorney before speaking to law enforcement. Our Mercer Island criminal defense lawyers have over 30 years of experience with a number of misdemeanors and felonies, including:
- Driving-related matters - including DUI, driving with a suspended license, hit-and-run, and reckless or negligent driving
- Minor issues - including possession of alcohol and minor drunk driving
- Disorderly conduct
- Possession of marijuana
- Reckless endangerment
- Protection and no-contact order violations
- Theft and shoplifting
- Prostitution and solicitation
- Criminal trespass
- Fraud and forgery
- Harassment and assault (including domestic violence)
- Malicious mischief (including domestic violence)
As an accused party, the Constitution of the State of Washington entitles you to the right to discuss with your lawyer while talking to law enforcement. This way, you are less likely to say something that could potentially incriminate you. You are also entitled to have your lawyer present during all portions of your trial - and our Mercer Island criminal defense lawyers are prepared to guide you through the process and explain anything you may be unsure about regarding your case in order for you to be positive that you know what to expect in the coming months.Why Choose Jason S. Newcombe?
We take a team approach to your case, and our legal team knows the right way to build a winning defense for our clients. Our experienced Mercer Island criminal defense lawyers will go through every part of your case to make sure that all evidence was gathered appropriately and to ensure that law enforcement officials have not taken any liberties with your case. Per our years of experience in Washington State, we are also familiar with the much of the prosecuting legal team who will be handling your case in court.
It is our firm belief that all people are entitled to a proper defense. Our low flat rate fees and affordable payment plans make our services available to anyone in need of a Mercer Island criminal defense lawyer. Call us or contact us online to learn more about our services.